What a whirlwind the last 24 hours have been. It got quite toasty up here yesterday by the height of the afternoon, as we almost tapped 59°. Sure felt great in the sun, and even before the line of storms finally rolled in around 8:30. Last night saw quite an impressive electrical display with lightning strikes happening near and far. Intermittent rain squalls also unloaded on the mountain through the night. Skies are clear once again this morning, but the front that pushed through brought the temperatures back down into the 30s. We’ll be mostly sunny today, and not as warm, until precip chances in the form of flurries slide into the forecast tonight.
This weekend will welcome winter back in earnest. Friday afternoon through Saturday could see the lodge receive up to 7” of snowfall. Temps are also expected to plummet into the teens, with wind chills near 0° combined with gusts upwards of 40mph. It is unknown what GSMNP will do about possible road closures and when, but we’ll be sure and pass that info along as we hear of it. Have alternate plans ready in case your initial trail of choice is not accessible. Warm layers and traction devices will be a must this weekend. This weather could also delay the seasonal reopening of the Roaring Fork, so if folks can’t take Alum Cave this weekend, best to consider Rainbow Falls as it’s the next shortest and clear of obstructions.
Have a great day.