The forecasters were right, as the mountain’s been getting walloped all night by winds, rain, thunder, and lightning. The Park closed US 441 (Newfound Gap Rd) last night in anticipation of the worsening conditions and rightfully so. Judging by the radar, the nasty precip should start to clear out later this morning, but the High Wind Warning calling for 70mph gusts doesn’t expire until 2:00 PM this afternoon. Even if skies clear in time for guests to have a decent day on the trail and a rewarding sunset tonight, it will still be on the breezy side up top. Sunday is looking pleasant. Temps have currently dipped into the upper 30s as the biscuits get rolled out. We actually tapped 60° yesterday afternoon, a great day for some of our llamas first trip to the summit, and we are expected to see the upper 50s again today and tomorrow. Cherokee Orchard Rd remains accessible at this time, so anyone eager to start up the hill will have to utilize one of the trails emanating from the mountain’s north side. Every path will be thoroughly soaked today, so dress appropriately. And if you come across what looks like a freshly fallen tree, please take note of its location/size and share with us or the NPS for prompt resolution. Thank you!
Stay dry, hold tight to those umbrellas, and have a great day.